Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My little chickadee

I think it is great when I wake up and my blog writes it's self. After a cup of coffee I went outside to open the flimsy fence/gate I have had to put across our driveway to help keep the deer out. In previous blog entries there are pictures of the culprits that love to attack our cherry tree.

As I walked out to the gate I saw four small birds fly out of the blackberry bramble into a conifer on the edge of the yard. Surprisingly the last bird in line was a female Rufous Humming bird tagging along with three Chestnut Backed Chickadees. One of the chickadees was newly fledged and making the classic "feed me" noises little birds make. I think the humming bird was just there drawn in by the all the excitement the young bird was causing. I have seen this before, the instinct to feed a young bird is so strong birds are sometimes drawn to babies of other species. The humming bird quickly lost interest and I went for the camera.

Here are some of the photos I got while the youngster was fed it's breakfast. Nummy, nummy little insects that only a chickadee could love for the first meal of the day.


An Adult Chestnut Backed Chickadee searching for tiny insects.


It requires intense focus and endless trips to fill up a bottomless baby chickadee.


I caught the eye of this adult and after a little scrutiny I was allowed to stay and take more pictures.

Here the adult bird is on the left and the youngster is fluffed up.

The newly fledged chickadee is on the left and quivering it's wings as it begs for food.

The fledging is the closer bird. Fledglings quiver their wings as they beg, sometimes adult birds that are courting will also quiver their wings and accept food from their partner as if they were young birds. This helps to strengthen the bond between adults as well as demonstrate how well they can provide food.

Feed me...feed meeee....FEEEEED MEEEEE!!!!!!

Now with any luck the parents of this bird will nest again in the next three to four weeks and raise another brood. I will keep an ear to the wood line and let you know if I am as fortunate to see that one also.

No comments: